Kale & Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms & Peppers
Serves 2 | Prep Time 30 mins
– 4 large bell peppers
– 2 portobello mushrooms
For the stuffing:
– 50g uncooked quinoa or 200g cooked quinoa
– 250ml water or stock
– 1/4 tsp garlic paste
– 1/4 tsp ginger paste
– 50g kale
– 30g spinach, chopped
– 100g carrots, grated
– Salt and black pepper
– 50g goats cheese, crumbled feta, or cheese of your choice
– 25g pumpkin seeds, toasted
– Chilli Sauce (such as Siracha)
Preheat your oven to 180°C whilst prepping your vegetables.
Start with your peppers, cutting in half length-ways, then removing the pith and seeds. Place on a baking tray with the mushrooms and bake for around 15 minutes, or until softened, but not fully cooked.
Wash the quinoa grains thoroughly and drain. Transfer to a saucepan and bring to the boil with 250ml of water or a good quality vegetable stock. Simmer until the quinoa is cooked but retains a slight bite, then drain, refresh under water and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a non-stick saucepan, sauté onions until golden brown, then add in the garlic and ginger paste and keep on the heat for another minute or two.
Add the cooked quinoa, kale, spinach and grated carrot to the pan. Continue to sauté on a low heat until all of the vegetables have softened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Fill your softened mushrooms and peppers with the stuffing mixture, then return to the oven until cooked through to your liking. If you should wish to, top with cheese and bake for an extra minute or two whilst the cheese softens.
Top with the pumpkin seeds and a drizzle of your favourite chilli sauce. Serve alongside a good helping of salad leaves.
Want to discover more nutritious recipes? Try a Superfoodio box today
– All our boxes include a versatile superfood meal ingredient and a range of easy to follow recipe cards.
– Don’t forget – we change the box contents every month, so you can be guaranteed a new, exciting selection of superfood-infused foods and recipes with every box received.